A Guide to Cooking LCC Steak
- Herb Marinade
- 1 clove (per 1-2 steaks) garlic, sliced thin
- 1 sprig rosemary, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, picked & leaves crushed
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 2 Tbs pure or Extra Virgin olive oil
- Dry Rub Marinade
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part sweet paprika
- 2 parts fresh ground pepper
- 3 parts kosher salt
GRILLING RULES TO LIVE BY - John Lastoskie, Graze, Walla Walla, WA
- Grill over a medium hot fire, with heavy grill plates that are scrubbed clean and lightly oiled with paper towels or a grill rag.
- Pull the steaks from the refrigerator at least 40 minutes before grilling and set on a new, room temperature plate. This allows the internal temperture to rise slowly and reduce moisture loss.
- Salt the steaks liberally using kosher or sea salt.
- Apply marinade herbs evenly over steak.
- Rub all over with olive oil.
- Let sit at room temperature for at 40 minutes, or in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Before grilling, liberally salt and pepper steaks. Generally 2 - 3 parts salt per 1 part pepper.
- Do not remove herbs; garlic should be removed or it may burn. Grill steak about 4 minutes per side. If you have the temperature right, your herbs will maintain a fresh green color, you will get great grill marks, and there will be no sticking.
- Test the steak for doneness by pressing on it with your finger int he middle. If it gives, but pushes back a little, this is what you want.
- Remove steak to a rack of some kind. Let your steak rest about 5 minutes. It should be warm, but not hot.